Have you had difficulties finding a referring provider's direct address? You are not alone! The NPPES system now supports updating your providers' NPI registration with their direct address. This will contribute to a national directory that should improve the use of direct messaging. While there is no requirement in MIPS to update your registration at the time of publication, CMS will post a list of providers without direct messaging capabilities in the second half of this year.
To update your addresses, you will need an I&A account. This account is used for the NPPES and PECOS systems. Your billing or credentialing staff should have this.
- Visit the NPPES website and login.
- Go to the provider you want to update, and go to the Health Information Exchange tab.
- Update the following fields:
* Endpoint Type: Direct Messaging Address
* Endpoint: Your provider’s direct address (do not enter a personal or work email, must be a direct address)
* Endpoint Location: What practice to affiliate it the address with
* Is the Endpoint affiliated to another organization: No unless your provider uses an address from another practice or the hospital instead of your own
- Review and agree to the Terms and Conditions, then save and submit. Repeat for all providers at your practice.